Monday, June 25, 2007

Weekly Debate

I would like to add a new feature to my blog. The weekly debate. I plan on posting a question each week and want to hear from everyone. Please give your honest opinion and then I encourage each of you to debate it back and forth.



This week's question is....Can a Christian, in good conscience, purchase and use a radar detector? I feel that it is not something that a professing Christian should do. While it says no where in Scripture that speeding is a sin, we are called to obey the law of the land. I, for one, could benefit by having one. I drive all day long and it would be helpful to go faster and get home sooner. But I have always felt that it was wrong to have a radar detector. Please let me know what you think. I would love to hear every one's thoughts on this issue.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a differrnce between using a radar detector and simply scanning the hoizon for police cars? :)

****** said...

Yeah...breaking the law is a sin...so having a radar detector to help you break the law sounds like sin to me.

Tim Ellsworth said...

I'd say no. The intent of a radar detector is to help you break the law with impunity. That's not something a Christian should try to do.

Brett said...

No. Intentionally attempting to evade the law doesn't sound very Christ-like to me.

Tracy said...

Good question Joel.;-).
Well so far I argee with everyone. God intends for us to obey the law of the land so long as we do not have to sin by doing so. I have a few business associates that claim to be christians and use a radar dector. I travel a lot of highway miles every day and in all my years of driving I have never used a radar detector nor do I ever plan to use one. Thanks to Joel,Tim, and Brett for coming to my blog welcome and I hope to hear from you again.

Verne said...

Oops I was not signed in as myself I was on my wifes blog and jumped to mine without signing in. The comment from Tracy was actually from me.

Unknown said...

Is it a sin to post on a blog under someone else's name?

-Tim Ellsworth


;)

Verne said...

Joel,

Only if it is someone other than your wife. ;-o . To blog under another name is a form of deception. LOL