Sunday, July 1, 2007

Reaping what we have sown

I am excited to share with you that we have eaten from our garden several times this week. We have had plenty of zucchini meals (the variety of meals can be found on my wife's blog). The girls froze 4 quarts of beans yesterday. We will be having cucumbers soon (they are sitting on the counter), and I sliced up a banana pepper and ate it on my pizza after church on Sunday. I expect we will be having spaghetti squash soon, as well as peppers and if they ever ripen, tomatoes.

As we continue to have a drought, the garden seems to be holding up quite well. I have been watering it regularly. We did get a little rain this past week. The yard on the other hand is not fairing so well as it is quite brown. I spent some time weeding the flower garden yesterday. My son Mac had a friend over last night and his mom instructed him to tell us the flowers looked pretty. I was pleased to hear the compliment.

It really is nice to benefit from hard work. I liken it to our work for the Lord, as it is not always easy to live a Christian life, but the rewards of serving our Father are so worth the labor. How often do we really think about the benefits we receive from our Lord? While visiting another blog a few days ago, I was reminded of how we must be thankful of our daily bread that our heavenly Father gives us. All too often we take for granted what we have. We complain about things we don't have. Fact is, we have what we need, our God gives us just what we need to survive. The final reward is the everlasting life we will receive in our Father's heaven. Now that is a reaping that is worth the sowing.

No comments: